Sunday, September 25, 2016

Hertzian Tales Ch2

In the last chapter of Hertzian Tales, we discussed technology and its interpretations (metafors, etc.). In this second installment, the writers are again talking about machines but this time in regards to interfaces. Previously, I had complaints about the writers style overcomplicating the discussion so it was not easily interpreted. I must admit the writers got better explaining the ideas they were presenting in this chapter. It was not over cluttered with references, in lou of such methods they actually expanded upon ideas in a way that was straightforward and easy to understand their meaning.

In this chapter, the writers discussed interfaces such as user-friendliness, environment and other things which influenced the design of technology. I admit I was bored at first by the ideas in this chapter because they seemed pretty straightforward but once I got into the meat of the chapter halfway through I got intralled. 

There were a number of influences to the interface which seemed straightforward (certain groups of people for example), but the idea of semantics was interesting. In that section of the chapter they mentioned Lisa Krohn who created a device called an “Answerphone” which combined an answering machine with a phone to make a device which transcribed and printed messages. Even with today’s technology I think that creation from 1987 is really cool and I wish I had one. Plus the idea of a device which looks like what they are designed to do is cool. 

The other section which was fun to find out about was called pets or memoricry of human behavior. They mentioned a car in japan which stops running if you are not feeling well. It reminded me so much of Baymax from Big Hero 6. The idea of alien devices was interesting as well since it was more abnormal devices.


I really enjoyed this chapter because each time I turned the page (or scrolled through the pages) there was some new extraordinary device (a ball that moves itself!) that caught my attention and with my attention I could better assimilate some of the deeper design choices chosen and their interpreations.

No comments:

Post a Comment