Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Instructables: the good, the bad, and the ugly

Which Instructables will win the title of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly? Let's find out!

The Good

The first thing which I thought was pretty cool was the Plywood Laptop Table. I know it's simple but I don't really do wood working at all so this was really interesting. It also seems like anyone could do it.

I enjoyed looking at the costumes like Vastra Mask (though they needed a few more steps in regards to the modeling) and I thought that was my favorite but then I saw Stargate helmet animatronics. That is just so cool and actually pretty straightforward (it would be a long process for me to do but it all seemed straightforward).

Honorable mention is Draw-Sound-With-Arduino because I think it relates so much to this class seeing as we just did a noise project and we could easily assemble this.

The Bad

Ok. Let's all say this one out loud together now: LED Molotov Cocktail Lamp. This is well done and put together well but the very idea of it is so bad. I suppose this is just like the father from A Christmas Story's lady leg lamp. I just question this idea.

I jumped to older posts for a to see what the older content was like and ran across Camera Zip-lock. There is a point where you just need to get either water proof camera a really good waterproof aperatus and I think they are really on the edge of being unnecessarily dangerous. The idea could be applied to phones or some less expensive device but this just seems unnecessary and would drive me insane with worry every time I used it (am I feeling lucky?).

The Ugly

After much deliberation I chose Crochet Candy. I don't crochet but I know people who do. There was just no spark to this project. This felt between a kids project and an experienced crochet artist. Here's someone who can crochet a square but they are making a cover mechanism which I had a hard time idtifiying as candy. With a few tweaks this might actually be a good project but it needs something else to take it to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment